What makes a leader better?
Leadership roles can be both rewarding and frustrating. I am sure that most people in leadership roles find themselves thinking about how they could lead better or lead differently. The other night I was thinking and tweeted one of my “Leadership Thoughts” which said,
A great leader and close friend of mine, Blessing Mpofu (@Blessingmpofu) read this and responded with something he wrote called “How bad followers make good leadership resources”. An awesome post about making the most out of difficult people and turning a difficult situation around to sharpen and better your leadership skills.
After some discussion on twitter, the question came up WHAT MAKES A LEADER BETTER?
Here are some of my thoughts..
- BELIEVE YOU ARE A GOOD LEADER – This might sound obvious, but a leader must first believe that he is a good leader. If he goes about believing that he is a bad leader, there is no chance of him getting better.
- GET HELP AND SUPPORT – A leader should never see help as a weakness. It is impossible for a leader to have every strength. Understand what you can do and allow others to fill in the areas where you are weak. Going alone trying to impress everyone you did it single handedly will only result in burnout or failure.
- KEEP LEARNING – Most good leaders know a lot. But they don’t do themselves any favours by not enhancing their knowledge and skills. The world is changing every day which means that leaders ought to keep learning and refining their knowledge all the time in order to stay ahead.
- ACCOUNTABILITY RULES – Create rules that don’t allow you to become complacent. Those rules could involve setting boundaries for yourself where you can get easily distracted and getting someone to alert you when you are under-performing or not reaching your full potential. If no-one is watching you, it can be easy to get complacent.
- EMPOWERING – When you help empower someone, they become a weapon in your artillery. Where one was able to make a good decision, now two are able. When more people get empowered and equipped, they can in turn add value back to the leader.
- REVIEW – A leader who constantly reviews his or herself will always become better. In this review, there must be utmost honesty of where they are going wrong and the steps needed to take to get better. Perhaps revert back to Step 2.. GET HELP! Its okay to be stuck as a leader, Its not okay to stay stuck!
A quote I clearly remember after attending the Global Leadership Summit was when Bill Hybels said, “Everyone wins when a leader gets better!” What other ways could Leaders become better?